5.17.2010

My New Favorite Tournaments

I'm enjoying the single rebuy and add-on tournaments a lot lately. They aren't turbo structured so there is a lot of room for making moves during these tournaments. I think the optimal strategy is to use your rebuy immediately and play it like a freezeout for the first hour.

Last night I played 2 of these and a lot of players are calling off massive amounts of chips with a single pair in their hand - me likey.

It's a very advantageous format for people used to deep stacked cash games. If you've played fairly well or not run into any crippling beats or coolers you should be able to add-on and have at 40+ bb's behind.

I'm completely done with all turbo tournaments. I had managed to final table a couple of these and took that to mean I'm "good" at them. No. The blinds and antes skyrocket so much that it's merely luck.

I've done well with avoiding the turbos unless I decide to play SnG's which is a different animal. Not much going on with cash games lately. I haven't had enough time to study up on PLO to feel like it's profitable for me to sit down and play.

And the Hold Em games on Full Tilt are too rockish to hold my interest. I enjoy tournaments a lot and am actually starting to learn how to take the bad beats in stride (I have a short temper).

I think a lot of it has to do with using my girlfriend's laptop while traveling. I won't think twice about breaking my own mouse or keyboard in a moment of weakness but I respect other people's things too much to ever get that angry. So... helpful by proxy I suppose.

Plus I'm in a hotel so I can't exactly start yelling swears at 2 AM. I mean... I could, but then I'd find myself driving down the street looking for Vacancy signs. And that's no fun.

7 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Tournaments are a different skill set, and I like them way more than cash games.

baglife said...

Responded to your post on my site. Haha yeah I have no problem smashing my own shit, but would never disrespect another person's property like that. Good luck, I've always felt like any sort of rebuy is a good format that attracts plenty of clown-boxes.

I miss playing tournaments and want to re-work them into my schedule eventually. Oh another thing on me being too tight. I watch hands from top players all of the time. It seems like they don't have a problem jamming 20BB over the top with hands like AJo, even when the opening raise is coming from Middle position. If I finally get the courage to play a hand like that based on someone's range and they happen to have AQ or AK or something stupid. Not sure how they profit playing like that.

-bag

FkCoolers said...

I think a 20 bb jam with AJo and AJs is fine, honestly, and suspected it's stuff like that which you aren't doing enough of.

Unless the preflop raiser has stats like 14/12 it's a fine move.

You'll be up against AK and AQ some times, AA/KK/QQ rarely, and you can get folds from hands like 22-88, KJ, KQ, AT, and lesser hands containing an Ace.

And then if some clown calls with JT or JQ you're in a dominating position.

FkCoolers said...

I like the MTT's with capped rebuys because then the play is fairly deep without a couple clowns having massive stacks at the break because they won a couple 5 way all-in preflop hands.

Single rebuy you can play like a freezeout.

Double rebuy you can pick one good gamble spot wuth your starting stack, then double rebuy and play as a freezeout if it doesn't work out.

This concept is lost on a lot of players and that makes me happy.

baglife said...

Based on what I’ve seen watching hands from well known short-stackers on my stakes it is fine. However, it’s pretty scary making the play. I think you better be very sure on your opponents ranges or you’re better off not even making the play. Seems like a jam with AJ over a somewhat casual MP raiser is a pretty standard play from some of these folks. I don’t think it will necessarily break me by not doing this, but not 3-betting around blind steals WILL.

Yeah I miss tournaments even more. I have a feeling if I just dumped all this money into tournaments I would have broke one or two. But no I insist on torturing myself, my signature move…….

Louise said...

Really interesting post and enjoying all the comments. I'm quite new to the game but so far have found that the turbos are great as I'm also working full-time and otherwise I'd not be able to play at all.

FkCoolers said...

Turbos favor the more inexperienced players because at the crucial stages of the game every move is all-in or fold pre-flop.

Do a google search for a basic push/fold chart (Annette_15 has a good one that still holds true for the most part) and you can profit in turbos.

As for me, my experience level is geared towards tournaments with slower structures where your opponents have many chances to make mistakes.

Now if I could just win my 70/30 situations this year I'd be making some real money asdf FML I <3 fish etc.