7.01.2010

Truckin' Along

I had a decent score last night relative to the buy-in. I've been playing the $1+R nightly turbo on PokerStars because it has excellent value. 1st place ends up being around $1600-1800. I took 5th for about $500.

One thing I definitely need to do more is defend my big blind later in tournaments. As a medium stack you can exploit other medium stacks who raise any two cards in late position by jamming and making it impossible for them to call with a strong holding which they'll very rarely show up with.

I'm not sure how to treat my small blind. I suppose you can also defend in a similar way but tighten your range slightly because of the extra player to act behind. Having reads on your opponents goes without saying.

I'm not going to monkey jam against a rock who hasn't shown many steal attempts. I will start jamming any Ace and a lot of other hands against the looser players. Not only will you often scoop the pot but you'll put it in their heads that you defend your blind so they'll be less apt to raise completely wide in a lot of cases.

I defended my big blind a lot last night in the Turbo out of pure necessity and noticed how often they simply folded so I'll be working this into my game as well.

A big part of me is adverse to busting trying to make a move but I'm sure that's partially limiting my results, too. The trick is to balance it all out and not overcompensate by suddenly playing like a maniac (or playing like a total nit if your leak is playing too loose). Like a lot of other things, poker is often a game of small adjustments. You need to identify what works for you and then put in every effort to perfect it.

Right now I'm favoring my small ball counterpunching strategy where I get opponents to spaz shove against me. I've tried running over tables but not enough people have a fold button at the lower stakes.

4 comments:

Amatay said...

glgl for the rest of the yr :)

FkCoolers said...

tyty :)

best of luck to you as well.

joxum said...

Hey, what happened to the MTT post I have in my RSS feed - did you pull it from the site?

Anyway, I hope you're tilt free by now and ready to fight another day.

/j.

FkCoolers said...

Hey, Joxum. I kept trying to write things like "AK < AQ" but Blogger was reading these as the opening of HTML tags so a lot of things I wrote after that were lost.

Then I realized the whole post was a glorified bad beat story so I made the choice to delete it entirely instead of filling in the hand history.

Cliff's Notes for anyone else who sees this: I went very deep in the $11 rebuy, $8 rebuy, and a third MTT that all had close to $10,000 payouts and lost AIPF as an 80% favorite in massive pots in all three.

Then I continued to register for more tournaments but that was essentially lighting money on fire because I was tilted and spewed all my chips by the 150/300 level in the later ones.

The prospect of Final Tabling 3 of those with a possibility of $30,000 in winnings and then having it ripped away by bad beat after bad beat really gets to a person.