2.12.2010

Cake Poker Network and Foxwoods Bound

I'm headed to Foxwoods for the long weekend. I'm going down there on Saturday morning and will probably come home Monday. As with my past trips I plan on staying about a mile or two down the road at a much cheaper hotel. Everything else is way overpriced for what you get.

When I go out to Vegas later this year I'll be staying in a suite with my girlfriend so she can be pampered but I don't plan on getting a mud bath or pedicure so the Hampton Inn will work for this weekend.

I think the Foxwoods Mega Stack is going on right now so I plan on sticking to the 2/5 cash games in the hopes that a lot of the tournament players hang around and donk off some money.

And the good thing about staying outside the hotel is that it allows you to hit Mohegan without feeling like a dumbass if the Foxwoods games are dry. So I like staying situated between both places for versatility.

As an aside, I think I am choosing the Cake Poker network as my cash game home. After playing a lot of hands on PStars (rock garden of regs), Full Tilt (only one notch better than PStars) and UB (decent action but not enough traffic) I am choosing PlayersOnly Poker where I will be receiving 33% rakeback and will also be participating in the pocketfives.com monthly rake race where you can earn extra bucks for being on their leaderboard for most rakeback earned in the month.

Cake seems to be a nice little network for games 3/6 NL and lower which is all I'm playing these days with 5/10 shots only taking place if the table I target has more than one bonafied fish sitting at it. That's not to say I don't think I can beat the game - I do. I think I can beat up to and including 10/20 but I have chosen a life that does not allow for lots of cash to be kept online for gambling purposes.

I have basically discovered what my yearly income should be for my poker schedule and it has become integrated into my budget.

I feel like down the road the state of poker will shift once again and more fish will come. And that is when I will adjust and play higher once more. But for now I think it's asinine for anyone to sit at 10/20 and 25/50 and swap pots with regs all day long. No one has any edge unless they are in the top 5% players in the world and I am not in that class.

When poker is finally regulated in the United States, and it will be someday, all the people who were reticent ($10 word) to deposit online when the money is held offshore will enter the poker world and the majority of them will not be good players.

Much like sports, war, and the economy there is an ebb and flow to the poker economy. The majority of success in your poker career will come down to luck and timing - cooler pots where you hope to be the one holding the nuts versus second nuts or running well deep in MTT's in the make or break spots. And so you must create your own fortune by always being aware of the state of the game, your emotions, and the emotions of your enemies.

I can't say I always do this but I do it a lot and that is why I will succeed in places where others will break even or lose.

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

GL at Foxwoods.

joxum said...

Best of luck, and bring back some stories :-D

/j.

Unknown said...

Mohegan definitely tightning up recently - but still loose enough on weekends.

FkCoolers said...

I've heard a few say that. I'm going back to Foxwoods again this weekend, I think. I just hate staying overnight and starting my trip in the hole a couple hundo.

I have to make sure I don't feel pressured to make that back right away.