2.01.2010

Highlights I'm Not Proud Of

Over the weekend I played in one of those Knights Of Columbus charity poker tournaments where they had out Visa gift cards as prizes. Top 9 paid and first place was $700.

Normally I stay away from these because the players are often KoC members with no idea how to play the game and I almost feel guilty showing up. Almost.

But a friend of mine recently got his wisdom teeth removed and is unable to drink yet, so he talked me into going there with him.

He took third and I took first.

My suspicions were correct. The players ranged from bad to embarrassing. There was one other kid there who I could tell had a good grasp on the game but he busted with Queens versus Ace King around the middle stages.

At the Final Table I raised every hand and c-bet every flop. My friend was two seats to my right and would mutter before folding because as he correctly said afterwards ...

- I either fold my way to heads up or let you 3 bet me out of every pot I open.

That about sums it up. He busted with 7's versus KJ suited when his opponent flopped a flushdraw with a gutshot and hit his gutterball on the turn. Bink.

Heads up we were even in chips and it was over in 3 hands. He open shoved with 8's and I woke up with 10's. Better to be lucky, right?

At any rate, here are things I'm not proud of doing that night in no particular order.
  • Check raising all-in on the turn against a guy in an oxygen mask and then showing 2-7 offsuit to the table
  • Flatting Aces on the Button against an older woman and letting her think her flopped queen was good by calling her on every street saying stuff like, "I think this call is a bad idea."
  • Slowrolling a kid because he yelled "one time!" at a KoC poker tournament.
  • Slowrolling an old guy because he told me I take too long to act pre-flop.

I'd like to add that beers at these places only cost two quid and so much of my decision making was influenced by these beers. Still, I'm not proud. But I am $700 richer.

4 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

congrats on the cash. Nothing to feel guilty about imo.

baglife said...

LOL wow ok the only one I would really feel bad about is your first example. I would make the play, but not show him up to the entire table. I'd feel pretty bad if he had a stroke right there. But that's just me, ballsy play.

You know what they say "the nicer the guy the worse the poker player"

-bag

FkCoolers said...

Yeah. The first one wasn't a crowd favorite by any stretch.

In fact one guy called me a few names but I didn't say anything back.

The guy in the oxygen mask was a decent player, too. I think he finished like 8th.

joxum said...

Heh - You know, if you still feel guilty, you can always give the money to charity or something ;)

Hilarious post, btw!

/j.