8.17.2009

All Done

This blog will probably live on in one form or another, but I picked a weird point in my poker life to start it.

I've scaled way down in terms of both playing time and stakes when it comes to poker, and it's due to no other reason than pure boredom. While I never reached the status of being a 25/50 reg, I managed to pretty well for myself over the past few years and it's clearly time to move on to something else.

At the end of the day it's just money and I get no enjoyment out of it except for the odd Sunday major where I manage to make a deep run.

But the fact is I have lost the will to play because I'd much rather take those hours each day and spend them with my girlfriend as we continue to build up our apartment, explore the city, and try new things together.

I've always been socially introverted, cynical, and a creature of habit. She forces me to step out of my comfort zone and try different things. In a span of 8 months she's managed to change years and years worth of stubborness and reticence. And stubborn as I might be, she knows how much she's done and how much I appreciate all of it.

It would feel like an insult to her hard work and love if I wasted my time sitting at a PC every night, frittering my time away just to grind out a modest profit.

This isn't me standing on a soap box and telling other players to give it up - far from it. But I think at some point in our lives we all luck into or create a good opportunity for long-term happiness and have this decision to make.

Faced with the choice between this beautiful, funny, and smart girl who loves me unconditionally or a card game played over a computer, there isn't a choice at all.

A, each morning I wake up and tell myself to always deserve you.

And if anyone comes looking for me to play in a home game - sorry, can't. I had to see about a girl.

2 comments:

joxum said...

Girlfriend > poker, that's EV+ anytime!

And if you decide to play some more, it's going to be a lot easier to get acceptance from her, now that you've shown you actually care about your relationship.

Good choice, I'm sure!

/j.

Memphis MOJO said...

Well said.