8.26.2009

Soft Game Alert and Bodog Nostalgia

This is probably old news to some.

The 2/4 and 3/6 limit hold em games on the Cake network are softer than all other poker sites. Not only is the percentage of flops seen greater on this network, but your opponents also call down with Ace high or weak hands at a far greater ratio than other sites I have played - Full Tilt, Poker Stars, and Bodog.

Note: My own Bodog experiences are about 8 months old at this point, but some of my online poker playing friends have commented that the traffic is terrible and the site is no longer worthy of any consideration due to this and their increased tournament fees/decreased guaranteed prize pools.

That's a real shame. Bodog used to be the site for all your donkey needs. In 2006 and 2007 I made a killing at 2/3 NL and 2/4 NL. I still see some of the same players kicking around at these same stakes, but for the most part the well has run dry.

Back to the Cake network.

I highly recommend the LHE games there. I haven't played 5/10 or 10/20 yet so I cannot speak to those, but I observed a 5/10 game for a bit and it played aggressively with most pots being 3-bet pre-flop so proceed with caution if you are rockish by nature.

The tournaments also have good value. The $20,000 Guaranteed is soft. My girlfriend and I decided to team up so she could ask me questions about strategy and hand selection and I think we took 13th place even though I haven't been thinking about poker lately.

The only catch to re-buy tournaments on the Cake network is the fact that no one seems to play it like a re-buy. In other words, what you'll find is that everyone takes the immediate re-buy to get to 3,000 chips and then it's played like a freezeout. This can be advantageous, though. If you decide to gamble for a stack, the other players will usually assume this is your normal playing style and you'll get paid off every time after the break.

Either that, or I really am a maniac and haven't figure it out yet.

5 comments:

joxum said...

So you play mostly on Cake, or do you play elsewhere too?

/j.

FkCoolers said...

My only active account is Cake - the PlayersOnly skin to be precise. For some reason my debit card wasn't accepted on Cake but it's affiliates will accept it without issues.

Memphis MOJO said...

I read somewhere that ca$hing out on Cake was problematical. Can you comment?

FkCoolers said...

You need to send them a scan/fax of a driver's license and utility bill which took place without issue for me fortunately.

There are two methods of cashing out - paper check or electronic wire transfer.

For checks, you can do a max of $2500 at a time which is the route I chose. For a $40 fee you can get expedited delivery through a courier (it's DHL).

It takes roughly 3 days for them to review and accept your request for processing and then it's about 5-10 days after that for the actual delivery of the check.

I have deposited mine into a Bank of America ATM and it's gone through and posted to my account within 48 hours.

The reason I don't do the electronic wire transfer is because they take 2% off the top which seems like BS to me.

FkCoolers said...

I'd also like to make mention that PlayersOnly Poker requires a copy of a voided check or a copy of a recent bank statement before they will approve electronic wire transfers as a method of cashing out.

On the one hand, it's a real pain in the ass. On the other, they're thorough when it comes to your personal security which is rather nice.