6.22.2010

Better.

Using my new MTT strategy I felt like I managed to accumulate more chips and control my stack better. Here are a couple examples of hands where the new strategy seemed to benefit me.

I was able to flat AK three times in position and two of the three yielded positive results.

Once I flatted an MP open from the Button and the BB shipped 15 blinds. MP folded and I called and had the BB's AJo dominated.

I flatted AK again from the Hijack seat against an EP open and stacked his KQ on a H high flop.

The third situation I flatted from late position but whiffed the flop and folded to a c-bet on a very coordinated board.

In both instances where I chipped up I think a 3-bet would make everyone fold.

I also managed to 3-bet fairly often when blinds kicked in with my suited connectors, big hands, and a couple junk hands. Only twice was I re-popped. In all other situations I was either flatted by someone playing the rest of the hand out of position or everyone folded.

Medium Aces are good hands to 3-bet - they're near the top of your folding range and you have a blocker card which makes it less likely that your opponent's hand contains an Ace. I was also 3-betting my medium pairs. You don't flop sets often enough to flat, jamming is too spewy, and folding is too weak. With very deep stacks I'll flat but you're rarely in a spot with both of you are 50 bb's deep or more online once you get out of the early stages of the tournament.

3-betting hands like 77 and 99 either win me the pot without seeing a flop or I'll be jammed over the top and feel pretty good about folding. There's nothing worse than flatting with 99 and seeing the flop come 7 high, then getting it in against a couple Queens or some other hand that has you crushed.

I played 5 MTT's last night and cashed in 3 of them. 2 of those were pretty deep runs in which I got down to 50 players or less from fields of 1000+ players.

This is encouraging.

3 comments:

joxum said...

Yay! Encouraging indeed! Small ball poker at work!

I notice that you have painted your blog in a joyous black...

/j.

Memphis MOJO said...

Congrats on the good results. Another time I flat with AK is from either blind with several limpers. I just hate to make a big raise, get called and play a bloated pot out of position.

FkCoolers said...

Thanks for the replies.

Joxum - The new blog color matches my luck and my results. I'll change it to balloons and puppy dogs once I have a major cash!

I'm definitely employing small ball poker pre-antes and long ball poker when the antes kick in. I need to become much more aggressive during bubble play which means re-raising people who are opening light to steal hands. I don't do this nearly enough.

Memphis - I do the same as you in this spot. If I don't have a shove stack I'll often just complete from the SB and check my option in the BB. I used to pop it about 4x or 5x just to whiff the flop and check/fold most times. Plus, raising there makes your hand very transparent so even when you hit the flop you're not likely to earn much from a lesser hand and anyone who flops 2 pair or better has you dead to rights.